Tuesday, August 16

pho grand friday

I convinced the hubs to head over to Grand for our Friday dinner. Pho Grand, that is.  I've heard nothing but great things, so I was excited to give it a try.

We drove around a bit to find a meter, and parked just a few block down (6:05. Only :55 of meter fare to pay - score!). Walking in, the decor and atmosphere let much to be desired.  But hey, we were here for the food.

We skipped out on appetizers and went right for the main course: me, the Vegetarian Special (without curry);
him, the Ga Nuong (chicken in a garlic sauce).

My dish was simply excellent.  Fresh cilantro, mushrooms, baby corn, tomatoes, peanuts and garlic (along with a plethora of unidentifiable veggies) all set atop thin rice noodles.  To me, it was hearty enough to be filling, but light enough to not weigh me down.  Yum, yum, yum.

As is customary, I stole politely asked for a bite of the hubs dish. His chicken was smothered in garlic sauce and accompanied by peppers and onions.  My, oh my, was that sauce sweet.  Delicious, but sweet.

Besides being delicious, this meal was cheapy, cheapy cheap. $17 for dinner out? I'll take it.

(For the record, the clock read 6:41 when we jumped back in the car. 36 minutes from car to car.

holy. cow.)

bottom line: fast, cheap and good. definitely a go to.


Pho Grand on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anna,
    Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/28/321795/restaurant/St-Louis/South-Grand/Pho-Grand-St-Louis
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/28/320136/restaurant/St-Louis/The-Hill/Bartolinos-St-Louis
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/28/452209/restaurant/St-Louis/Midtown/The-Fountain-on-Locust-St-Louis
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/28/320619/restaurant/St-Louis/Dierdorf-Harts-Westport-Maryland-Heights
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/28/1515236/restaurant/St-Louis/The-Hill/Station-Pizzeria-St-Louis
    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:
    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon
    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/28/6064/St-Louis/Annas-Place.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar
    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must go back to Pho Grand! This is my favorite restaurant in St. Louis. My family has been taking me here since I was a baby. I love the spring rolls (better than Bahn Mi So #1 also on Grand). Recently I just learned to love the wings- not your traditional hot wings, but bathed in a wonderful garlic butter siracha sauce. I wish I could replicate at home. My go to there is #20.04 (charbroiled pork). I really hope you go back again!

    ReplyDelete